What We're Looking For!
Break Media, the guys behind the #1 humor site on-line Break.com, are looking for the next great digital short. Do you have the comedic chops to write the next Break Original? The winners will be selected by our team of experts including Ed Burns, writer Steven De Souza, as well as members of the Break Media in-house production team, The Creative Lab. The TOP FIVE SCRIPTS will be awarded $500 each and the best idea will be greenlit into a Break Original to be developed and produced in partnership with the winning writer by the Creative Lab team. The winner will also be featured on the Break.com homepage as an editorial pick and receive exposure to the largest comedy video audience on-line.
There is a certain indefinable magic that works for an on-line video and while we don't want to hinder any great ideas, here are some best practices for what works:
Development best practices:
- Break Media's audience is primarily guys 18-34, it should work for that group.
- Songs are not necessary but parodies when done well can be great in the viral space.
- Famous people will probably not star in your video. While Break does have relationships with celebs, your idea shouldn't be contingent on their involvement.
- Limit the number of locations your videos use, this is online, people, we've gotta have a nimble production schedule for maximum efficiency.
- Pop culture parodies can work, but if it's only funny for the week after the event you're parodying you might want to try something else, this thing won't be made for a couple of months and by then people may not know what you're making fun of.
- Scripts should be no more than three or four pages
Our celebrity judges will help Break Media select the winners!
Steven de Souza, Screenwriter, Die Hard, 48 Hours, @StevenEDeSouza
Mr. de Souza is a producer, director and screenwriter. He is among a handful of screenwriters whose films have earned over two billion dollars at the worldwide box office. Recently Mr. de Souza has ventured into Web series with his own production, Unknown Sender.
Edward Burns, Actor, Director, Screenwriter, The Brothers McMullen, Nice Guy Johnny, @Edward_Burns
Mr. Burns is an award-winning actor, film producer, writer and director. In March 2009, The Lynch Pin, a series of shorts starring, written and directed by Burns were released online and subsequent episodes are being sourced here on Scripped.com.